Friday, July 1, 2011

Ready, Set... Doh!



Well, the best laid plans…. Our departure date was originally Monday, June 27. I knew that was optimistic, but if we’d had a more realistic date planned I was afraid we would miss that deadline too. Rick kids me for my habit of setting  my watch about ten minutes ahead so I’m always on time;  that doesn’t always work either...
There is a great deal of preparation in advance of a trip like this. There’s the obvious packing of clothes and equipment, along with provisioning with food, water and, of course, copious amounts of alcohol. There are also last minute doctor’s visits, bills to be paid, young adult offspring to be taken care of, as well as a house to be readied for the house sitter. I have watched my husband with a certain amount of amusement in past years as he has gone through this preparation phase of his solo trips; now I have a bit more appreciation of just how difficult it is. When the 28th came and went, we set ourselves a hard and fast deadline of Wednesday, June 29 – We’re leaving no matter what!
There were various snafus on the way – having driven a whole 3 blocks from our house we had to go back and retrieve my Kindle  – but we did manage to leave and head to Annapolis.
The car was loaded to the gills for the hour long trip to the boat. We stopped at a grocery store to buy perishables and ice, and somehow found room in the car for the additional bags. Once at the dock, it took five cartfuls to transport all the stuff to the boat. With everything loaded onboard, the boat is so weighted down that the water line at the stern is completely under water!








We need to unpack and stow everything away, and in the process I discover that,  Kindle now in hand, I’ve forgotten to bring along the power cord that will keep it charged…   Doh! I leave Rick to continue unpacking, and drive back to Baltimore (during rush hour) to get my power cord. When I get back to the boat it is already getting dark, but to save face, we need to at least leave the dock and spend the night someplace close by. We linger only long enough to say good-bye to Buck, who is the caretaker at the marina and a buddy of Rick’s. Buck is quite the character, with his well tanned and usually shirtless belly as expansive as his generous sense of humor. It has become somewhat of a tradition for Rick to present Buck with a case of beer when he leaves for the summer, and this time I get to be there (including a heart-felt, full-on hug over that capacious belly).



 Finally, we are under way!




We spend the night in Broad Creek, still in the mouth of the Magothy, with a plan to leave first thing in the morning. Of course, as I said earlier, the best laid plans… Upon awakening, Rick discovers that the power cord for his camera has been left back in Baltimore. 

 Doh! ( At least this time it’s not my fault. Yay.)

We motor back to the dock and try to sneak over to the car without anyone noticing. Sure enough, Buck is right there at the end of the dock. We managed in the course of the day (now Thursday the 30th) to run into absolutely EVERYONE we had said good-bye to the previous day. Very embarrassing.
By 1:00pm, we have left the dock and are at long last heading out into the Chesapeake. This time, we both know it’s for good – there is a definite feeling of no return in the air. Anything else we may have forgotten we will just have to do without. Passing the Baltimore Light makes it absolutely official for me.


The adventure begins!


3 comments:

  1. How very, very wonderful that you are doing this. Bon VOyage, a few days late. I love the fact that you and your husband both have your instruments and will be able to play together on the open seas- that is way, way cool. I will definitely be following your blog. We love to travel, and to follow that of others.
    Again thank you, thank you for your coaching and friendship at the BSO academy this summer. Further inspiration to keep playing my best.
    Happy Sailing, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, exciting. I'm laughing about the power cords. It reminded me of a trip to California and when students leave the cord or foot pedal to their sewing machine. We miss you and I'll share with the ladies in sewing class your post. Looking forward to the next post.

    Happy 4th of July, Blondell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beck,

    What a great job with the reportage! I love it. I'm sitting here still smiling at your just plain humanness! ...your honesty vulnerbilitiy, grit , determination and insight into your own and Rick's inner world. Good job. Yeah, and why did the damn doctor short you on the damn pills . In fact ...give us his number , we're gonna prank call the guy!!

    Now for the sake of the folks at home, and for the repressed frustrated fisherman in us all, one thing we want to read about is fishing! Why not dip a line and produce some fresh fare for dinner. Blues, Rock, sea trout there's probaly much to be had. Might even distract you a bit. The book is that the captain's a bit of an un”enthusiastic angler, but you could kind of lead the way.

    Anyway, an enjoyable read. Keep up the good work. When you get back, Letterman's going to want you - if you survive .

    Best,

    Jacque Parague

    ReplyDelete