Monday, September 11, 2017

Never Put Off 'Til Tomorrow...Or September


It turns out that if you wait too long for something, it might just be gone by the time you get there. We’ve been experiencing that lesson a few times over now that the short summer season of the north is over and September has arrived. With our calendars cleared of our usual school and orchestra commitments, we were looking forward to enjoying a few leisurely weeks along the northern coastline with cooler weather and the absence of tourists. We definitely got that cooler weather (see previous blog post here), and also a more thorough understanding of why the tourists have all gone home – it’s f***ing COLD up here!

We’ve made seeing family and friends a priority, but it’s rather embarrassing to admit that our close-second priority has been to visit all of our favorite eating spots. We had yet, for instance, to indulge our craving for fried clams and steamed lobsters at Holbrooks before leaving Maine. We’ve been salivating over the memory of our last visit, now fully three years ago. We made a plan to meet up with Barb and Jeff at the seaside restaurant, the perfect way to kill two birds with one stone.



After an extremely rough passage from Boothbay to Harpswell that left me sick as a dog and clutching a bucket for hours, we pull in to Holbrooks, only to discover that they are closed. CLOSED! For the SEASON! Not that my stomach would have welcomed fried clams right then, but hey, it’s the principle of the thing!

Rick quickly made friends with the guys on the lobster boat that pulled in nearby, and bought bugs for us to cook in our galley. Rick tends to get back a little of his Maine drawl when he’s up here, particularly after conversing with the locals for any length of time, and his accent was strongly in force that night (can you say “lobstah and cawn”?). Barb and Jeff stopped at a grocery on their way to join us, and we ended up having a fine meal anyway; they even brought steamers (clams). They are family of course, but they are also great friends, and it’s tough to leave Maine knowing that we probably won’t see them for an entire year.

Hoping to get south as quickly as we can, we leave the next morning for Onset Bay in Massachusetts. If we do an overnight passage off shore we can cover one-hundred-and-forty miles in just over one day, and bypass Portland, Provincetown and Plymouth. It’s a cold, bumpy passage, and even though I don’t need the bucket this time, I’m still not up to helping out with the sailing duties. Rick is on station for the entire bone-chilling trip.



Much as I’m looking forward to getting down to more temperate climes, I’m sorry to be missing Provincetown. Maybe we could have gotten fried clams. But at least we had a few days of fun there on our way up in early August.

During that visit I insisted on taking in a matinee movie at the little theater in town, always a great excuse to feed my popcorn habit (You know that scene in The Wizard of Oz where the Wicked Witch is casting an irresistible spell over Dorothy and her compadres, saying, “Poppies, Paaaahpeees”? In my world she’s saying, “Popcorn, Paaaahpcooorn.”). The film we chose to see was The Big Sick, a true story about the relationship between a Pakistani-born comedian with a traditional family, and a Caucasian woman he falls in love with and can’t quite bring home to meet the family. No spoilers for those who haven’t seen it yet, it is definitely a comedy, but there were parts of it that brought me to tears. Maybe it was a result of video deprivation from more than a month on the boat, but I found myself weeping onto Rick’s shoulder.



After the movie, we stumble out onto the street. Blinking from the sudden sunlight (and some leftover tears), we are unprepared for the crowds of people milling around the main drag. Out of the blue, I see Scarbie, the local drag queen who rides around town on her pink bicycle, selling tickets to her show “Lipschtick”. We’ve never seen her show, but she is a regular feature in Provincetown, a real local celebrity, with her signature tall hats and heels. She happens to be right in front of us, posing for pictures with some fans. I get the bright idea to get my picture taken with her too.


I waltz right up to her, but the minute I try to open my mouth to say something witty, I’m suddenly aware that I’m wearing grubby foul weather clothes (it had threatened rain earlier), no make-up, I have wicked hat hair, and I can’t remember if I put deodorant on. Here I am approaching this totally made-up diva in flamboyant colors, probably wearing perfume, and much more feminine than me. I’m completely tongue-tied. I’m sure I’m coming off as a blubbering idiot.

Scarbie is completely unfazed by my plain-janeness, and even graciously whispers instructions for picture posing (“Hand on your hip, put out your leg and point your toe, etc…”). Jeez, putting on a femme persona turns out to be a lot of work, which is probably why I don’t do it very often, or even very well. I thank her profusely, laughing nervously and becoming ever more embarrassed by my self-consciousness. Rick tells me right afterwards that I had popcorn in my teeth (Paaaahpcooorn).



We bought tickets for the next evening’s performance of “Lipschtick”, and laughed our heads off at Scarbie’s gender bending humor. She loves to poke fun at LGBT stereotypes, and the best parts of the show were the audience participation jokes and the ad libbing that ensued. I made sure to wear something at least a little less boaty/sporty but I don't think I made any better of an impression. I'm pretty sure my teeth were clean though.

We fully intended to revisit P-town on our way back south, but I wonder how many of our favorite places would have gone the way of Holbrooks and closed up after Labor Day. As it turns out, even Onset has gone quiet with abandoned beaches and empty parking lots. Rick took a brief nap after anchoring (he’d been up for twenty-six hours), and then we dinghied in for the ritual pizza and clams at Marc Anthony’s. Alas however, we are again too late; clam season is over. We had to content ourselves with just the pizza. 

 
You can't see it, but one hand is on my hip and my toe is pointed..





No comments:

Post a Comment