Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Way We Live Now


Slowly traveling up the coast… Having a whole summer off might be your dream vacation, but most people would probably have better ideas of how to spend it than bobbing around on a small boat. What exactly do you do with all of your time?



Well, we sort of have a routine. Morning is for writing, and in Rick’s world, that means silence. Rick works on his computer at the nav-station/desk, while I sit at the cabin table and web-surf. Basically, I’m wasting time, waiting until I’m allowed to talk. I haven’t always been good at this. For a while, I was banished to the v-berth (where we sleep) during “quiet time” because I just couldn’t stop talking.



Inspired by my latest self-improvement fantasy, I recorded the soundtrack from an exercise video onto my IPhone so that I could use it to get in shape on the boat. Of course there’s very limited space aboard to do much working out, but there’s a vaguely plausible spot on the foredeck if I’m willing to dodge all of the lines and sailing equipment. On the upside, balancing up there can be tricky, and those lines have come in handy as a quick safety grab when the boat gets hit by some wake. It takes some courage, though, to get up there and actually work through the routine. I’m sure I must look like a complete idiot. In Cape May we were anchored next to a big Coast Guard ship, and when I started gyrating around up there, the entire crew came up on deck to have a look. Maybe they thought I was signaling an S.O.S….?




What're YOU looking at?


When riding at anchor for the day, afternoons and evenings are often taken up with welcome trips ashore. Lately though, we’ve been using our afternoons to move the boat to a new spot. Rick handles most of the actual sailing duties, but once the sails are up and the self-steering is set, both of us are free to do other things.

Boat watching is a favorite activity, and we see all kinds of vessels when we’re underway. 





The Shenandoah in Martha's Vineyard


Mansion gawking is another favorite past time. We find it particularly satisfying to critique gorgeous, palatial homes that we could never afford.





A few days ago, my friend Igor, himself an enthusiastic sailor, posted a comment on this blog, innocently asking how my sail handling is coming along. I’m sure he assumed that I’ve been becoming quite the sailor, this being my fourth summer on a sailboat, to say nothing of having weathered that horrible windstorm last week and all.



Hey, I’m great with the engine! I can turn that key like the best of them, and steering with the big wheel – I’m an ace! I’ve learned how to read the chart plotter too (ok, I still have a little trouble figuring out how to turn it on). Actual sailing? Ummm…

I didn’t realize it until now, but I think Rick and I have kind of an unspoken agreement. I’ll come along, but I don’t want to have to actually DO anything. I want to be carried like a princess in a gilded sedan chair, while Rick toils with the halyards and sheets. All right Igor, you’ve shamed me into action!




OMG - I'm such a girl!

Ok, that's better.

Hey Igor, how 'bout that?


(My arms are still sore...)

2 comments:

  1. Well done! Next - try that with 30 mph winds and no autopilot or electric winches! (oh, and please, get some gloves. Rope burn hurts... )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you noticed there was hardly any wind! But we weren't using the autopilot, and we don't even have electric winches - we're not that fancy. I do have gloves though, and you're right, violinists should always use them!

      Delete