Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Time Off


Ah, Block Island. I’ve always loved it, and after the dark and stormy night we went through to get here, we both could use a couple of days off in a vacationers’ paradise.

I’m in the mood for a day at the beach, and we learn from one of our anchoring neighbors that the main island beach is just a short walk from the pebbled dinghy landing. We had been to this beach before, but only by bicycle, never realizing how easy it was to get here straight from the boat.

The beach is gorgeous. We each stretch out on our pads and retreat into our respective books. Incidentally, Rick and I do not share the same taste in reading material. For instance, I spent one summer on the boat re-reading the entire Harry Potter series on my Kindle, mostly as a method of keeping my seasickness at bay. Right now I’m reading the latest novel by Elizabeth Gilbert, the Eat, Pray, Love author. At least I’ve graduated to literature for adults, if still not exactly high-brow.



Being an academic, Rick’s preferences run a bit more on the heavy side. He’s always got some writing project going too, and he guards his computer like it holds the crowned jewels. He even brings it with us to the beach, huddling over the screen with one of my sun umbrellas.



In the early evening, the Block Island Township has sponsored a concert on the beach, with an excellent New Orleans zydeco/blues band called Otis and the Hurricanes. A nice crowd gathers, and we join the dancing on the narrow boardwalk.



The next day, we take the dinghy in and enjoy a nice walk into town instead of our usual ride on rented bikes. I grew up in a tourist town on the shores of Lake Michigan, and the similarities are striking. The shingled Victorian cottages, quirky little curio shops, vacationing families, all of it graced by the ever-present sight of open water. Everywhere I’m reminded of my childhood summers. There are some very notable differences, however. Many of the tourists who come to Block can have a snooty, hoity-toity air about them that I don’t remember from my home town. The women are tanned, beautifully coiffed, and wearing casual, but obviously expensive designer resort wear. I, on the other hand, am wearing my typical boating outfit, a ten-year-old t-shirt and shorts from Target along with my trusty baseball cap.

I also have a new addition to my appearance this year: orthodontia. Not the most welcome development. I had had braces as a kid, and I was perfectly happy with my smile, thank you very much. But I’ve been suffering recently from some pain in my jaw, and after seeing a TMJ and facial pain doctor, it was determined that my treatment had to include a modified bite, accomplished with another round of metal mouth.



Maybe I should see my braces as a fashion accessory. Apparently, gold or silver “grills” are all the rage, a trend started by hip-hop artists in the ‘80’s. Why it is making a resurgence now is anyone's guess, but I’m clearly in the fashion fast-lane. Here’s Madonna showing off her grill:



Katy Perry has a set of tiger teeth – I think they say “Roar”, turning her teeth into a smiling advertisement for her single of the same name:



Of course, anyone looking to copy this celebrity trend runs the risk of looking like that guy from James Bond films:






We end up at the Spring House, our favorite restaurant on Block. Sitting out on the lawn chairs, overlooking the beautiful blue water of Rhode Island Sound, it’s difficult to think that this was the same ocean that kicked us around so violently the other night.





No comments:

Post a Comment